Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Reason #462: Why Grandmas are Great!

I had the opportunity to attend a field trip with Miss M’s class yesterday. She was thrilled that I was able to come along. I am ecstatic that she still wants her mom around.

We rode on a bus to the Sheldon Concert Hall where we watched a performance about Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. The show was informative as well as entertaining. What really struck me was the good behavior of Miss M’s class. There were about 6 other bus loads of students at the concert hall, none of which maintained a sense of calm and decorum the way our kids did.

Which isn’t to say that the bus ride back to school was a peaceful one. Besides the various hand clapping “Bo Bo See Otten Totten” type games going on around me, a group of girls started a rousing round of “The Song that Never Ends” for 19 minutes and 33 seconds straight. I’m still trying to get that one out of my head!

Obviously my younger children required adult supervision while I was on my fourth grade field trip. Both my mother and my mother-in-law were kind enough to tag-team babysit for C.B. and the Banana. The kids were so excited that both of their grandmas were coming over to play. It was awesome that they were staying with the kids, but what I found when I got home was even more wonderful. My mom had helped the kids pick up the toys in the front room - which is no small task – and my mother-in-law did the dishes. The house looked better than when I had left!!

I felt like a woman who had it all yesterday. I was able to go on a field trip with Miss M, all the while knowing that my younger kids were with people who loved them. And as a bonus I got a cleaner house than I started out with. Seriously…who could ask for anything more?

Thanks, Grandmas!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma's rock! I wish my kids had one or at least one that acted like one.

Lisa said...

YEAY YOU. That's awesome.

Unknown said...

Oh, that is the best! That both of them get along, and that the cleaned up....sounds like heaven. :)

Anonymous said...

Think I could borrow them?

Lisa said...

Oh, I tagged you for a meme. If you are interested, go for it. No pressure tho.

I saw a license plate today at my son's school and thought of YOU. I wondered if you, by chance were there. Did you happen to attend the Three Piggy Opera today?