Wednesday, July 09, 2008

DQ it yourself

I love Dairy Queen’s MooLatte. However, it’s not something I indulge in very often. I can’t afford the cost or the calories! But I have been thinking so much about MooLattes lately that I decided to see if I could create my own at home.

My first stop was the internet. There are plenty of other people out there like me who want to make their own MooLattes at home. I found tons of different recipes and tried a combination of them, based on what I thought sounded good and what ingredients I had on hand. My first attempt was very blah. I used ice cubes along with the ice cream and that seemed to make everything taste watery.

My second attempt was awesome, if I do say so myself. I didn’t follow anything I found on the internet, but rather tried my own combination of things I already know are yummy. Like this new Fat Free Double Churned Extra Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream I found from Breyers. It’s fat free, but still creamy. I mixed it with Light Chocolate Silk soymilk and decaffeinated instant coffee.

The Dairy Queen version has 590 calories – 207 of them from fat. If you are counting Weight Watchers points like me, it’s worth a whopping 14 points. My version has 486 calories, but only 15 of them are from fat. As far as Weight Watchers goes, you’re only looking at 6 points. In addition, DQ’s serving size is huge! I made half of the standard 16-ounce MooLatte and it was plenty, which means this tasty treat only cost me 3 points.

Here’s my recipe for a Mock Mocha MooLatte:

1 cup Breyers Fat Free Double Churned Extra Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
1 tablespoon Instant decaffeinated coffee
1/2 cup Light Chocolate Silk soymilk
2 tablespoon Fat free whipped cream

I’ve always admired those food blogs where they put wonderful pictures illustrating the making of a recipe step-by-step. Sadly, this is not one of those blogs. Since I was too busy eating my creation, I didn’t take a picture to share with you. But if you try this recipe, I do hope you enjoy it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds great!! I'll have to try it!! It's good to know the point count too!

sltbee69 said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe.