Wednesday, October 23, 2013

More Milestones

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary...
ad·o·les·cence 
Pronunciation: \ˌa-də-ˈle-sən(t)s\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 : the state or process of growing up

Big D turned twelve today. TWELVE!  It sounds so grown up. So ready for new opportunities and responsibilities. So...so...OLD.  And so soon! Where did the time go?



As I said yesterday, I am often reluctant for these naturally occurring milestones to come along, but this one seems really big to me.



You'd think I'd be okay with this, since I already have a teenager. But for some reason my little boy turning twelve is hard to swallow. I mean, just look at this...



He's still got that great smile, which I love. And while he is no longer a fan of hugs, and he doesn't sit on my lap anymore, he's still got a big heart and a whole lot of love for his family. He has no problem teasing his brothers or sisters, but if anyone else gives them any trouble, you can bet Big D will stand up for his siblings. And, if you judge by his tough exterior, you may not guess that he's so incredibly good with little ones.





Not just with our G-man, but his other siblings, little cousins, and friends as well. I can't even count the number of times people have told me how sweet or how helpful Big D was with their kiddos.



He is a great help to me at home, even with changing diapers! So maybe I shouldn't lament his adolescence so much. There are definitely some positive things that come with growing up. And I am so proud of the young man he has become.



Happy Birthday, Big D!

No comments: